Live it up a little.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live it up a little.

A group of roleplayers, Aliens, Robots, Crazies, Gods, Nekos, Kitsunes, and other such creatures. Nothing to see here, move along.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fraud Alert!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nova
Prime
Prime
Nova

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am

Lately, there's been a bogus anti-virus program running around, that is probably a virus in itself. It is called Personal [Seemingly random number and letter code] Antivirus Protector, or something of the sorts. It is extremely present on the game wiki website, which hosts multiple wikis, such as the the MTG wiki. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT. It is a scam. Signs to look out for:

*Misspellings. The tell tale heart of a false program. The one around has one huge teller, in which it says "Yoru compuder has multiple viruses detecded". Come on! My little brother can type better than that!
*It will tell you that you have about the same number viruses in each folder, and EVERY folder. Even the least protected computer can't have as much as it claims. Usually, it says like 45 in each. Yes, because hackers love you SOOO much, right? And, of course, it's just coincidence it's the same number in each folder!
*Trying to navigate away from it leads to being brought to square 1. You know, no matter if you press OK or Cancel, it prompts you to download again? No real program would be so annoying, nor would they want you to download such a program or free over a pop-up. If it's free, and it's a pop-up...it's a scam! If you get stuck in the loop of peer pressure, as I call it, you have to use the task manager to cancel [CTRL+ALT+DELETE].
*It uses slang and cuss words. This is a sad attempt to make a program appeal to all users. What legit program would say "Viruses can be a real *****!"? NONE!

Not all of these signs are present on the mentioned program, but looking out for these can protect you from future scans. If you want a free virus protection program, might I suggest Avast! It is not superb, but it is free and legit.

Last edited by Nova on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shali
Admin
Admin
Shali

Character sheet
Name: Lana
Level: 1
Hit Points:
Fraud Alert! Left_bar_bleue50/50Fraud Alert! Empty_bar_bleue  (50/50)

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 am

No need for me to worry, I've got a pretty good antivirus already.Even if it hates city of heroes...
Back to top Go down
Shali
Admin
Admin
Shali

Character sheet
Hit Points:

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 am

I don't.
Back to top Go down
Levi
Banned
Banned

Character sheet
Name:
Level:
Hit Points:

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 am

I pissed off a hacker once.
Back to top Go down
Nova
Prime
Prime
Nova

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

Yeah, I'm still pissed...

What? I didn't say nothing...

But yeah, most people can tell, but it's good to be safe. Also the real warning for the one around now lies in the third bullet, when it states:
Nova wrote:
*If you get stuck in the loop of peer pressure, as I call it, you have to use the task manager to cancel [CTRL+ALT+DELETE].
This new fraud will pop up, and present a screen similar to the My Computer menu. Then, it will tell you to install to save your computer. If you install it, you're stupid. However, if you click X, after saying a pop-up: "Wait! Your Computer is at danger!", it gives the Cancel and OK option. Clicking Cancel or OK brings you back to the download prompt, and clicking X on the warning does nothing.
Back to top Go down
Shali
Admin
Admin
Shali

Character sheet
Hit Points:

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 am

THEN you turn off the computer.
Back to top Go down
Nova
Prime
Prime
Nova

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 am

OR, you could use the task manager. Much easier, and safer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fraud Alert! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fraud Alert!   Fraud Alert! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fraud Alert!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Live it up a little. :: Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: